5# Single bit Splitting axe with 36″ or 28" straight handle. This thing is a laser beam through firewood rounds. When turning large chunks of wood into smaller chunks of wood is the task at hand... this is the one you want! The cutting edge is approximately 4.5″ of overall length.
This axe comes in both 36" and 28" handle lengths. Choose which length you'd like when you go to checkout.
The 28" Handle makes a GREAT Fallers Axe!
Here are what a few other customers had to say:
- Forged steel head. Made in USA.
- Hand sharpened, tapered bit for cutting and splitting.
- ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge. The poll and eye walls are not hardened and remain in the as forged condition.
- Head coated with boiled Linseed Oil over the as forged finish.
- 36″ straight American hickory handle. Eye section is dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening.
- Axe head is hydraulically seated onto handle and secured with a wooden wedge.
- The interior detail of the eye is tapered and allows for a strong mechanical bond. Approximately 1/2″ of the overall length of the handle is removed during assembly.
** This is a standard axe so grain orientation is not guaranteed. **
The Coucil Tool large leather mask fits this axe, Grab yours HERE
Our HDPE Mask fits this axe also! HERE
Shipping is FREE in the US on all orders over $150
The axe is perfectly made
Council Tool - 5 lbs Splitting Axe
If you’re looking for that big, heavy, budget friendly splitting axe this is it. Mine had a good grade handle with no run out and was firmly wedged. I did clean up the bit some , it was a tad rough but serviceable. I like splitting with an axe vs. a maul and this tool will definitely split. If you want a heavy hitter for falling you should probably put about a 25 degree bevel on it and take the cheeks down a little.
Love the edge geometry. Perfect shape for a splitter. Plenty hard steel for and axe, brand new file skates on the edge. Was worried about the head fitment from council tools from other I've read online but it was perfect. Would definitely recommend council tools.
Everything was exactly as it should be. From ordering online to the email conformations and the quality product. Spot on, highly recommend.