The Sport Utility Edition Axes are a huge upgrade in both functionality and value compared to their standard predecessors. They sit proudly on excellent American Hickory handles and are hung using an quality hardwood wedge instead of the aluminium wedges they were once fitted with. The robust and resilient finish given to the axe in the drop forging process has been left preserved and the head has been covered in a rust proofing agent to ensure its longevity. Each Sport Utility Edition is hand finished with an egde that would make any grizzled veteran woodsman proud! Be careful taking these axes out of their boxes because they come ready to take a bite out of your woodpile!
2.25 lb. Dayton axe head outfitted with a 28″ curved hickory handle. Popularly referred to as a “boy’s” axe. A “mid” sized tool. Dayton pattern originated from the Dayton, Ohio, area.
This is a great axe for everything around the homestead. It's a great weight for everyone in your house to use and the 28" handle makes it capable of even felling small trees! This is the lumber worker's "scalpel"
- Forged tool steel head. Made in USA.
- Hand sharpened, tapered bit for cutting and light splitting.
- ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge. The poll and eye walls are not hardened and remain in the as forged condition.
- Head coated with rust proofing agent over the as forged finish.
- 28″ curved American hickory handle. Eye section is dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening. Hafted high and proud.
- Axe head is hydraulically seated onto handle and secured with a traditional double wedge system.
- The interior detail of the eye is tapered and allows for a strong mechanical bond. Approximately 1/4″ of overall length of the handle is removed during assembly.
** This is a standard axe so grain orientation is not guaranteed. **
Looking for Leather for this axe?
Full Carry System (Sheath and Sling) HERE
The axe is holding up great as expected. Handle is great, well hung head, and came relatively sharp. I’ve put it through it’s paces and it has handled it all. Felling trees, it’s phenomenal. not to bad at splitting. As my dad use to say, there is a right tool for the right job… but we will make it work haha. Its really the perfect axe for my need and area here in the Piedmont region of SC. In my opinion this axe punches way above its price point. And it’s made in the USA! Only downside is that I wish it came with a sheath but I’m planning on trying to make an over the shoulder sling and sheath for it. I’m sure that also keeps the price point down. Overall 8.9/10 for me 9.9/10 if it came with a sheath.
Overall: amazing pack/camp/felling axe. Great weight for extended use or having to carry it around all day in the woods.
I bought this axe for throwing not it’s typical use. But it’s amazing at both. I tried one of these axes at my local establishment and had to have one immediately. After a lot of searching, I came across Whiskey River Trading and purchased it as fast as I could. Shipping was extremely fast. Everything was packed very nicely and securely, no way this was getting damaged in shipping. Thank for delivering such a great product, fast and efficiently.
I bought this as a gift and haven’t used it but I own an older boys axe and bought this one based on that.
This is the perfect gift for a young aspiring woodsman. The handle is just the right length and the head is the perfect weight for a boy to learn the proper use of an axe without struggling to handle a full sized axe. Whiskey River is an outstanding company to order from, with great customer service that makes you feel more like a friend than a customer. Their shipping time is amazing as well. My order arrived in 4 days.
Such a nice little medium sized axe. Love the new finish on these sport utility axes. Well done council. Axe just has that "feel" to it. Very Good quality. Sharp out of the box with only a slight touch up to the bit needed on mine. Liked it so much I bought another just like it. Give these a Nordic sounding name (Radet verktyg ?) and you could sell them for 2 to 3 times the price.