This Double bit is one of the best all around axe in the arsenal. Splitting, Bucking, Felling... This thing can do it all!
The Sport Utility Edition Axes are a huge upgrade in both functionality and value compared to their standard predecessors. They sit proudly on excellent American Hickory handles and are hung using an quality hardwood wedge instead of the aluminium wedges they were once fitted with. The robust and resilient finish given to the axe in the drop forging process has been left preserved and the head has been covered in a rust proofing agent to ensure its longevity. Each Sport Utility Edition is hand finished with an edge that would make any grizzled veteran woodsman proud! Be careful taking these axes out of their boxes because they come ready to take a bite out of your woodpile!
**From Council Tool:**
3.5 lb. Michigan pattern double bit axe with phantom bevels and a 36″ straight handle. Phantom bevels — or hollows — are designed to reduce sticking and minimize burst wood chips. Michigan pattern originated from the state of the same name. Double bit axes were sometimes sharpened in different ways. One end was thinner and sharper and used for knot-free cutting; the other end was thicker and blunter and was used when knots were present or to cut near the ground where contact with dirt was likely.
- Forged 1060 tool steel head. Made in USA.
- Hand sharpened double bits for cutting and splitting, sharpened in the same manner.
- ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge.
- Natural steel finish on head and cutting edges coated in clear lacquer to deter rust.
- 36″ double-bit American hickory handle. Eye section is dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening.
- Axe head is hydraulically seated onto handle and secured with a wooden wedge. Hung proud with a secondary steel wedge.
- The interior detail of the eye is tapered and allows for a strong mechanical bond. Approximately 1/2″ of overall length of handle is removed during assembly.
** This is a standard axe so grain orientation is not guaranteed. **