The Sport Utility Edition Axes are a huge upgrade in both functionality and value compared to their standard predecessors. They sit proudly on excellent American Hickory handles and are hung using a quality hardwood wedge instead of the aluminium wedges they were once fitted with. The robust and resilient finish given to the axe in the drop forging process has been left preserved and the head has been covered in a rust proofing agent to ensure its longevity. Each Sport Utility Edition is hand finished with an edge that would make any grizzled veteran woodsman proud! Be careful taking these axes out of their boxes because they come ready to take a bite out of your woodpile!
In case you missed it, THE POLL IS HARDENED.
The Medium Council Tool Leather Utility Mask fits this axe! Look for it in our Leather-goods section!
From Council Tool Co:
2 lb. Hudson Bay Axe head is outfitted with an 18″ or a 24" curved hickory handle. One-handed camp axe. Used for light splitting, chopping, driving tent pegs, etc. The pattern is thought to have originated from “Biscayan” in Northern Spain, near France. French traders used this hand axe as a trade tool in their dealings with Native Americans for fur and other commodities in the Hudson Bay area, St. Lawrence River, and other trade routes.
Forged tool steel head. Made in USA.
- Hand sharpened, tapered bit for cutting and light splitting.
- ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge.
- Head coated with rust proofing agent over the as forged finish.
- 18″ or 24" curved American hickory handle. Eye section is dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening. Hafted high and proud.
- Axe head is hydraulically seated onto handle and secured with a traditional double wedge system.
- The interior detail of the eye is tapered and allows for a strong mechanical bond. Approximately 1/4″ of overall length of the handle is removed during assembly.
Hung on either an 18" hickory handle or our stock 24” curved
handle (trimmed down closer to 22.5” after hanging).
** This is a standard axe so grain orientation is not guaranteed. **