The Council Tool Classic Jersey just got an awesome facelift! Council has received a ton of requests to add this axe to their incredibly popular Sports Utility line and they were happy to oblige!
This axe carries the iconic phantom bevels that make this thing such a beast of an axe. The handle is also shaved thinner than the previous Jersey models.
The Sport Utility Edition Axes are a huge upgrade in both functionality and value compared to their standard predecessors. They sit proudly on excellent American Hickory handles and are hung using a quality hardwood wedge instead of the aluminum wedges they were once fitted with. The robust and resilient finish given to the axe in the drop forging process has been left preserved and the head has been covered in a rust-proofing agent to ensure its longevity. Each Sport Utility Edition is hand finished with an edge that would make any grizzled veteran woodsman proud! Be careful taking these axes out of their boxes because they come ready to take a bite out of your woodpile!
From Council Tool:
- Forged tool steel head. Proudly Made in the USA!.
- Hand sharpened, tapered bit for cutting and splitting.
- ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge. The poll and eye walls are not hardened and remain in the as forged condition.
- Head coated with rust proofing agent over the as forged finish.
- 32″ curved American hickory handle. Eye section is dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening. Hafted high and proud.
- Axe head is hydraulically seated onto handle and secured with a traditional double wedge system.
- The interior detail of the eye is tapered and allows for a strong mechanical bond. Approximately 1/4″ of overall length of the handle is removed during assembly.
** This is a standard axe so grain orientation is not guaranteed. **
3.5# Council Tool Sport Utility Classic Jersey - 32" Curved Handle
Good weight for an “all day” splitter.
The jersey axe is a must have in your axe arsenal! Freaken laser beam of a chopper. I also love the slim handle, it’s basically impossible to find a half decent axe out in the wild these days. Fiskers are the only box box axe now days I would get and I love them but I needed/wanted a good old wood handle at the house. Much like a leather bound journal the wood has a feel you can’t beat. Thanks guys.
Very pleased with the quality and hang of the jersey axe.
This axe is well balanced and easy to swing. The head is high quality tempered steel that holds an edge well once sharpened. The handle I received is just beautiful with a little color in it and proper grain orientation with hardly any runout. The bit did need to be finely sharpened and the handle needed the clear coat taken off and replaced with linseed oil but after that it is a beautiful tool. I highly recommend this axe.