The Council Tool 3.5lbs Jersey has been redesigned and now hits harder than ever!
This wood-splitting axe is one of the best all-around tools I use on an almost daily basis when I need to get my firewood replenished for the coming winter season. This thing can do it all!
The Sport Utility Edition Axes are a huge upgrade in both functionality and value compared to their standard predecessors. They sit proudly on excellent American Hickory handles and are hung using a quality hardwood wedge instead of the aluminum wedges they were once fitted with. The robust and resilient finish given to the axe in the drop forging process has been left preserved and the head has been covered in a rust-proofing agent to ensure its longevity. Each Sport Utility Edition is hand finished with an edge that would make any grizzled veteran woodsman proud! Be careful taking these axes out of their boxes because they come ready to take a bite out of your woodpile!
From Council Tool Co:
3.5# Jersey pattern single-bit axe with a 36″ curved handle. Sometimes referred to as a “Baltimore Jersey” pattern, this shape features lugs or ears which increase the surface contact area with the handle. The geographic origins are self-explanatory. The earlier Kentucky and North Carolina patterns were somewhat similar. A full-sized felling axe for general axe chores. The cutting edge is approximately 5” in overall length and the poll is square.
The Large Leather Mask fits this axe! HERE
The HDPE Mask fits this axe also! HERE
- Forged tool steel head. Proudly Made in the USA!
- Hand sharpened, tapered bit for cutting and splitting.
- ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge. The poll and eye walls are not hardened and remain in the as forged condition.
- Head coated with rust proofing agent over the as forged finish.
- 36″ curved American hickory handle. Eye section is dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening. Hafted high and proud.
- Axe head is hydraulically seated onto handle and secured with a traditional double wedge system.
- The interior detail of the eye is tapered and allows for a strong mechanical bond. Approximately 1/4″ of overall length of the handle is removed during assembly.
** This is a standard axe so grain orientation is not guaranteed. **
This is one nice splitter. Very nice tool, reasonably priced.
Is a great ax to swing!! Very satisfied with my purchase of this act it is just what I was looking for!! Thanks again to whiskey river !!!!!
Good feel in the hand so far! Split with it and really like it. Almost think the curved handle would have been a better fit though.
Looks great, performs well. I use it for splitting more than anything else. The handle is a bit thinner than I thought it would be for the size. Feels great though and whips nice.