This axe is an absolute monster of a tool and an incredible value! This axe impressed me so much when I was testing it that I immediately bought one for myself! 3.5lbs is the perfect "every-man" weight. It's heavy enough to fell a tree (which is how I tested it myself) but it's not so heavy that it beats you up! This thing throws more chips than that time your "big boned" aunt broke through her discount Walmart lawn furniture at last years family reunion!
We offer this fantastic axe in both a 36" curved and straight American hickory handle.
- Forged tool steel head. Made in USA.
- Hand sharpened, tapered bit for cutting and splitting.
- ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge. The poll and eye walls are not hardened and remain in the as forged condition.
- Natural steel finish on head and cutting edge coated in clear lacquer to deter rust.
- 36″ American hickory handle. Eye section is dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening.
- Axe head is hydraulically seated onto handle and secured with a serrated aluminum wedge. The serrated shape improves bite and the aluminum choice of material is strong, lightweight and does not change size with moisture content.
- The interior detail of the eye is tapered and allows for a strong mechanical bond. Approximately 1/2″ of the overall length of the handle is removed during assembly.