This axe is a serious little workhorse and in the right hands it makes for a great thrower. It's very portable, extremely comfortable, quick, agile, and under-estimated. It has a sleek chunk of drop forged tool steel firmly hung atop a 14" curved American Hickory stick. It is easy to use, easy to abuse, and easy to keep in working order.
Great for everyone from the most grizzled fur trapper to your brother's 100lbs girlfriend. If Batman knew what was good for him he would do away with that silly grappling hook and replace it with one of these versatile bad-boys and some paracord!
We have 2 variants of this awesome little hatchet. They are classified as "AA" and a "A." The "AA's" are the creme of the crop of these little wolverines and are probably better suited for use around the homestead or camp. The "A" grade hatchets are still excellent tool. They just don't quite meet our high standards. But have no fear. They are suited perfectly for throwing hatchets!
**On Council's website this is listed as a 2lbs hatchet. We have talked with Council and they are working on getting that changed to correctly list the hatchet as it's true weight of 1.5lbs**
1.5# Hatchet with 14″ curved hickory handle. Ideal for one-handed work and general camp chores. “Dayton” pattern originated from the Dayton, Ohio area.
- Forged tool steel head. Made in USA.
- Hand sharpened, tapered bit for cutting and light splitting.
- ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge. The poll and eye walls are not hardened and remain in the as forged condition.
- Heat coated with red enamel and cutting edge in clear lacquer to deter rust.
- 14″ American hickory handle. Eye section is dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening.
- Axe head is hydraulically seated onto handle and secured with a serrated aluminum wedge. The serrated shape improves bite, and the aluminum choice of material is strong, lightweight, and does not change size with moisture content.
- The interior detail of the eye is tapered and allows for a strong mechanical bond. Approximately 1/2″ of overall length of the handle is removed during assembly.