This axe is a serious little workhorse and in the right hands it makes for a great thrower. It's very portable, extremely comfortable, quick, agile, and under-estimated. It has a sleek chunk of drop forged tool steel firmly hung atop a 14" curved American Hickory stick. It is easy to use, easy to abuse, and easy to keep in working order.
Great for everyone from the most grizzled fur trapper to your brother's 100lbs girlfriend. If Batman knew what was good for him he would do away with that silly grappling hook and replace it with one of these versatile bad-boys and some paracord!
The Sport Utility Edition Axes are a huge upgrade in both functionality and value compared to their standard predecessors. They sit proudly on excellent American Hickory handles and are hung using an quality hardwood wedge instead of the aluminium wedges they were once fitted with. The robust and resilient finish given to the axe in the drop forging process has been left preserved and the head has been covered in a rust proofing agent to ensure its longevity. Each Sport Utility Edition is hand finished with an egde that would make any grizzled veteran woodsman proud! Be careful taking these axes out of their boxes because they come ready to take a bite out of your woodpile!
**On Council's website this is listed as a 2lbs hatchet. We have talked with Council and they are working on getting that changed to correctly list the hatchet as it's true weight of 1.5lbs**
1.5# Hatchet with 14″ curved hickory handle. Ideal for one-handed work and general camp chores. “Dayton” pattern originated from the Dayton, Ohio area.
- Forged tool steel head. Made in USA.
- Hand sharpened, tapered bit for cutting and light splitting.
- ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge. The poll and eye walls are not hardened and remain in the as forged condition.
- Head coated with a Rust Preventative Oil over the as forged finish.
- 14″ American hickory handle. Eye section is dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening. Hafted high and proud.
- Axe head is hydraulically seated onto handle and secured with a traditional double wedge system.
- The interior detail of the eye is tapered and allows for a strong mechanical bond. Approximately 1/4″ of overall length of the handle is removed during assembly.