This wood splitting axe is one of the best all around tools I use on an almost daily basis when I need to get my firewood replenished for the coming winter season. This thing can do it all!
The Sport Utility Edition Axes are a huge upgrade in both functionality and value compared to their standard predecessors. They sit proudly on excellent American Hickory handles and are hung using an quality hardwood wedge instead of the aluminium wedges they were once fitted with. The robust and resilient finish given to the axe in the drop forging process has been left preserved and the head has been covered in a rust proofing agent to ensure its longevity. Each Sport Utility Edition is hand finished with an egde that would make any grizzled veteran woodsman proud! Be careful taking these axes out of their boxes because they come ready to take a bite out of your woodpile!
From Council Tool Co:
3.5# Jersey pattern single bit axe with a 36″ curved handle. Sometimes referred to as a “Baltimore Jersey” pattern, this shape features lugs or ears which increase the surface contact area with the handle. The geographic origins are self explanatory. The earlier Kentucky and North Carolina patterns were somewhat similar. A full sized felling axe for general axe chores. Cutting edge is approximately 5” in overall length and the poll is square.
- Forged tool steel head. Made in USA.
- Hand sharpened, tapered bit for cutting and splitting.
- ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge. The poll and eye walls are not hardened and remain in the as forged condition.
- Head coated with rust proofing agent over the as forged finish.
- 36″ curved American hickory handle. Eye section is dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening. Hafted high and proud.
- Axe head is hydraulically seated onto handle and secured with a traditional double wedge system.
- The interior detail of the eye is tapered and allows for a strong mechanical bond. Approximately 1/4″ of overall length of the handle is removed during assembly.
** This is a standard axe so grain orientation is not guaranteed. **
Easily my most favorite axe. I now have two of them. I have used it for everything from chopping to splitting. Its splitting ability is surprising and honestly outstanding!
What more is there to say, I love it, and it splits.
Bought this axe at my local hardware store and love it. I was very surprised when I saw it there. They have carried the painted version but I didn't like the paint. Then one day they only had one of these and it had a straight handle. It's my first single bit with a straight handle but I really like it. Thanks for a great product to make us proud here in North Carolina.