Standard Line option of the Popular Saddle Axe!
This Saddle Axe is a beautiful example of a quality American made tool. The head is a solid 2lbs of drop forged 1060 steel and the haft starts with 16 inches of smooth, finished hickory, is trimmed during the hanging process to a little over 15 inches.
The Council Tool Saddle Axe is an innovative revival of a very classic and very functional axe pattern. The Saddle Axe is named simply because it was very easy to pack into your saddle. It took an essential and heavy tool (the axe) and made it easy to bring along an any expedition, excursion, or adventure.
The Sport Utility Edition Axes sit proudly on excellent American Hickory handles and are hung using an quality wooden wedge instead of the aluminium wedges they were once fitted with. The robust and resilient finish given to the axe in the drop forging process has been left preserved and the head has been covered in a rust proofing agent to ensure its longevity. Each Sport Utility Edition is hand finished with an egde that would make any grizzled veteran woodsman proud! Be careful taking these axes out of their boxes because they come ready to take a bite out of your woodpile!
***This axe does not ship with leather. However we are actively working on a leather option for you folks. ***
Forged tool steel (1060) head. Made in USA.
- Hand sharpened, tapered bit for cutting and light splitting.
- ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge. The poll and eye walls are not hardened and remain in the as forged condition.
- Head coated with rust proofing agent over the as forged finish.
- 16″ Straight American hickory handle. Eye section is dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening. Hafted high and proud.
- Axe head is hydraulically seated onto handle and secured with a traditional double wedge system.
- The interior detail of the eye is tapered and allows for a strong mechanical bond. Approximately 1/4″ of overall length of the handle is removed during assembly.
** This is a standard axe so grain orientation is not guaranteed. **