2.25 lb. Dayton axe head outfitted with a 24″ curved hickory handle. Popularly referred to as a “boy’s” axe. A “mid” sized tool. Dayton pattern originated from the Dayton, Ohio, area.
This is a great axe for everything around the homestead. It's a great weight for everyone in your house to use. This is the lumber worker's "scalpel" The smaller 24" handle also makes this great axe an affordable option for a truck axe!
The Sport Utility Edition Axes are a huge upgrade in both functionality and value compared to their standard predecessors. They sit proudly on excellent American Hickory handles and are hung using an quality hardwood wedge instead of the aluminium wedges they were once fitted with. The robust and resilient finish given to the axe in the drop forging process has been left preserved and the head has been covered in a rust proofing agent to ensure its longevity. Each Sport Utility Edition is hand finished with an egde that would make any grizzled veteran woodsman proud! Be careful taking these axes out of their boxes because they come ready to take a bite out of your woodpile!
- Forged tool steel head. Made in USA.
- Hand sharpened, tapered bit for cutting and light splitting.
- ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge. The poll and eye walls are not hardened and remain in the as forged condition.
- Head coated with rust proofing agent over the as forged finish.
- 24″ curved American hickory handle. Eye section is dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening. Hafted high and proud.
- Axe head is hydraulically seated onto handle and secured with a traditional double wedge system.
- The interior detail of the eye is tapered and allows for a strong mechanical bond. Approximately 1/4″ of overall length of the handle is removed during assembly.
** This is a standard axe so grain orientation is not guaranteed. **
Looking for Leather for this axe?
Full Carry System (Sheath and Sling) HERE
Great fit and finish, it’s got a decent weight to it... perfect for the truck or camping.
Handle is nicely finished, unfortunately looks like the wedges were slightly damaged in shipping but not a big deal and doesn’t impact its function.
Bought the leather sheath for it too. Together it looks great.
Thank you to the YouTube guy “out of the woods” for the recommendation
I own both the 24" and 28" and they are both great at camp! As my sister says - the 24" is "cute"
I love this thing, they really made it better than the old painted heads, great fit form my truck!
Thank you for making products here in the USA.
Wish I could see more of this type production every day in our great country.
Also, love the name of your company.